2018 waec ssce History Theory and Obj questions and Answers IT’S FREE
AS WE ALL KNOW THE WEST AFRICA EXAMINATION COUNCIL IS ABOUT TO COMMENCE AND A LOT OF STUDENTS ARE RUINING ABOUT LOOKING FOR WHERE TO THE BEST THE RESULT, ARE YOU ALSO SEATING FOR THIS EXAMS IF YES THEN YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE,READ CAREFULLY AS WE GIVE YOU THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWER NOW.
*FOR SIERRA LEONE*
SECTION C ANSWERS
7a (1)Governor Ransford Slater (2) Governor Hubert Stevenson (3) Governor Beresford Stooke.
7b The Chiefs were very important in the colonial administration of the British.
The following were the roles played by the chiefs.
(1) They helped the colonial administration to collect taxes and from the people and implemented policies of the Government.
(2) Chiefs were heads of their people or heads of ethnic life in terms of demoestic and customary issues. They were responsible for interpretations and enforcement of customary laws. They settled disputes in matters relating to native and customary laws.e.g. marriage, witchcraft and woman palava to name but a few.
(3) They acted as intermediaries between the colonial government and the natives. Paramount chiefs explained colonial policies to their subjects. The British colonial administration got the acceptance of the people through the help of the chiefs.
(4) The Chiefs helped the British colonial administrators to maintain law and order as well as security through the establishment of native police force. The dealt with minor cases and local people were compelled to be law abiding. The Chiefs made used of age grades as law enforcement agencies.
(5) They mobilized their subjects for the building of their chiefdoms through customary labour and tributes. They led their people and motivated them in communal work. Chiefs ensured the maintenance of roads, bridges,schools, health clinics and markets. They also ensured that the general sanitary conditions of the town and villages in their chiefdoms were maintained. The Chiefs organized force labour for the British colonial administration.